Meeting at JBNSTS on 24 May 2019
A meeting was held at Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search for Science communication, popularisation and extension in Bengali. The meeting was a part of the follow-up action after the two-day conference at CGCRI, Kolkata.
25 experts were invited for the meeting. The following were discussed:
- i) Creation of print and electronic content in Bengali. This content will cater to all Bengali speaking community of West Bengal, Tripura, Assam, and Bangladesh.
- ii) Increasing science content in Bengali newspapers and Television channels.
iii) Coordination with S&T organisations in West Bengal for sharing resources and content creation.
- iv) Coordination with NGOs and science clubs for outreach activities to popularize science to the unreached.
- v) Encouraging schools and community participation with coordinated efforts and support from West Bengal Secondary Education and S&T Council.
The expected output in the first year:
- i) Original books on popular science in Bengali.
- ii) Dubbing VP science films in Bengali.
iii) Translating selected English/Hindi popular science books (published by VP) in Bengali.
- iv) Translating Bengali popular science books (published by Bongiyo Bijnan Parishad and Paschim Bango Vigyan Mancha and other reputed publishers) to English, Hindi and other languages.
- v) Creating opportunities and motivating young people in popular science writing and science film making.
- vi) Science journalism. Science coverage in Bengali newspapers and periodicals.
vii) Popular science programs in television
viii) Organizing science workshops to train master trainers. Supporting workshops to train students.
- ix) Supporting in organizing Science writers’ meet, conferences, seminars.
- x) Participation in Book fairs.